Go Providence has brought us Chef Jules Ramos from Cafe’ Nuovo to make their Poached Apple & Blue Cheese Mousse Salad.
Poached Apple & Blue Cheese Mousse Salad: Yield: 6 servings
- 1 recipe Poached Apples
- 1 Recipe Blue Cheese Mousse
- 1 each Lemon
- To taste salt & pepper
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 bunches Ma che Lettuce or Baby Arugula
- 1 recipe Candied Pecans
- 1 recipe Golden Beet Coulis
- 6 each slices of toasted brioche
Candied Pecans: Yield: 1 cup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch salt
Yellow Beet Coulis: Yield: 1/2 cup
- 1 each Medium size Golden Beet
- 1/4 teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
- 3 tablespoons Rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Mirin Wine
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Ginger Powder
Poached Apples: Yield: 4 servings
- 4 cups Burgundy wine (or a fruity red as Syrah or Zinfandel)
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 each Orange – peel & Juice
- 1 each Vanilla bean – split in half
- 1 each cinnamon stick
- 2 each Star Anise
- 2 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 6 each Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon Coriander Seed
- Pinch Salt
- 6 each Green Cardamom
- 4 each Medium Apples (Pink Lady, Golden Delicious, Braeburn or Granny Smith)
Poached Apple & Blue Cheese Mousse Salad:
- Toss the mache green with olive oil & lemon then season with salt & pepper. Give it a gentle but good toss to coat everything. Taste & adjust seasoning.
- Core, Stem & dice the poached apples into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Grab 4 chilled plates & divide the apples amongst them. Put the mousse on top. Then arrange the mousse on top of the apples. Mound the lettuce next to the apples.
- Garnish the plates with the golden beet coulis. Put some candied pecans around the plate and place the toasted brioche to the side of the plate. Serve right away.
- Put 1 cup of sugar & 1 cup water into a small pot and bring to a boil. Add the pecan halves to the pot and simmer for 7 to 10 minutes until the nuts are golden brown and fragrant.
- Strain the syrup from the nuts & use the syrup for another application. To flavor coffee is a good idea.
- Put the warm drained nuts into a bowl, add the rest of ingredients and toss well to coat the nuts. Put the nuts onto a parchment paper lined sheet tray & place the pan in a pre-heated oven at 325 F. Bake the pecans for 15 to 17 minutes until golden brown & fragrant.
- Remove from the oven & allow the pecans to cool completely. The nuts will get crispier as they cool off.
Yellow Beet Coulis:
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F. Rub the beets with olive oil & wrap them in aluminum foil. Put them into the oven & roast for 35 to 40 minutes until tender. They will be done when the tip of a paring knife or a skewer will go right through them easily. Allow the beets to cool completely then peel it.
- Cut the beet into 6 to 8 pieces and place in a blender with the rest of the ingredients. Puree everything together until very smooth & velvety. If the puree is too thick, add a little water & strain though a fine mesh sieve.
- Put all of the ingredients into a pot and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a low simmer.
- Peel the apples & add them to the pot of simmering syrup. Cover with a parchment paper disc & use a couple of plates to weigh down the apples so that they are submerged .
- Poach the apples for 20 to 30 minutes until a paring knife or skewer goes through the apples. Do not overcook the apples so that they do not fall apart.
- Put the pot over an iced water bath to stop the cooking process as soon as possible. Allow the poached apples to rest in the syrup overnight.