SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Multiple reports of tainted Halloween candy have come in across the state. A Springfield mom contacted our sister station in Springfield after she said she found a needle in her daughter’s candy bar.
WWLP visited the apartment of Ennette Figueroa, where she showed them what appeared to be a sewing needle. She says she found the needle sticking through the wrapping of her daughter’s candy bar. She said her daughter wanted a piece of Halloween candy after finishing her dinner.
Figueroa, her mother, cousin, sister and daughter all went trick-or-treating Halloween night in East Longmeadow. That’s where she says she was given the candy.
Although she doesn’t know what house her daughter got it from, she told 22News she’s shocked.
“She picked the candy and I opened it for her, but I felt that something was wrong with it. I told her give me, give me, give me. That’s when I found there was something wrong with the candy. When I opened it, it was right there. Visible. You could see it. I just can’t believe people. How could they do something like that?”
Figueroa said the family trick-or-treated their way down multiple streets and dozens of homes in East Longmeadow. They’ve been going to the same area for the past 5 or 6 years.
In Chicopee, Mass., police have posted an advisory on their official Facebook page asking residents to check their kids Halloween candy.
Chicopee Police Officer Mike Wilk told 22News this needle was found inside of a candy bar. The family claims the candy was given to them Halloween night in the area of Granby Road or East Street.
This also comes as residents of North Reading, Massachusetts claim that one person was giving out cough syrup to trick-or treaters. In a Facebook post, police in North Reading, which is about 18 miles north of Boston, say they received a report of a residence leaving out samples of Hyland’s 4 Kids Cold ‘n Mucus cough syrup Saturday.
Meanwhile police in the town of Auburn, a suburb of Worcester, Mass., say a child made up a story about finding a razor in her candy. Earlier Sunday, police posted a notice on Facebook about a report of a metallic object found under the wrapper of a candy bar. By Sunday afternoon, the department said the report was a hoax.
You are reminded to inspect your children’s candy for anything that looks suspicious and report it to your local police department.
Portions copyright 2015 Associated Press