PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) – The Board of Licenses in Providence met again Monday to discuss reopening a sports bar that was involved in a shooting last month.
The El Tiburon Sports bar has been closed since a triple shooting that happened on October 17.
Providence police said an argument erupted in gun fire around 2 a.m., leaving three people hurt.
Monday, officials viewed surveillance video from the night of the shooting – which showed the chaos in wake of the gunman opening fire.
In the video, you can see people ducking behind the bar for cover and crawling on the ground.
Alberto Aponte Cardona, the lawyer for El Tiburon, said he does not belived the establishment is troubled.
“They have to show or prove that my client did something which would put the public in peril and so far the testimony doesn’t indicate that my client did anything against any city or town ordinance,” he said.
A Providence police detective testified in front of the Board of Licenses Monday. He said the suspect, identified as Michael Stokes, was in the bar and had brief words with one of the victims before shooting.
Stokes, 26, is still wanted on three counts of felony assault and several firearms charges in connection with the shooting.
The victims include a 30-year-old man, a 32-year-old woman and a 19-year-old woman. The three victims were taken to the hospital, but it is still unclear of their involvement in the argument that sparked the violence. All three have been released from the hospital.
“I’m very confident that the board will do what’s right for the people of the city of Providence as well as for my client,” Cardona said.
The sports bar was also shut down in 2007 after 33-year-old Vidal Rodrigues was shot and killed outside the Valley Street business.
His murder remains unsolved.
No final decision was made Monday and the hearing will continue on Thursday.