(WPRI) — Autumn is winding down and winter will be here before you know it. So, what do you need to do to stay safe during the cold months?
Tempie Thompson, the Executive Director of Red Cross Rhode Island, joined Eyewitness News This Morning with some helpful tips.
- Winter Weather Resources
- Closings, Delays & Parking Bans: Pinpoint Closing Network | Sign up for Closings & Alerts
The Red Cross urges residents to prepare for winter weather, emphasizing that preparing early will help avoid last minute rushing. The Red Cross recommends how families should prepare:
- Assemble an emergency preparedness kit: This should include winter-specific supplies such as warm clothes, hats, gloves, water resistant shoes, extra blankets, and sand or non-clumping kitty litter. Winter Emergency Supply Kit »
- Follow storm warnings: A winter storm WATCH means storm conditions are possible in the next 36-48 hours, a winter storm WARNING means that life-threatening or severe weather conditions have begun or will begin within 24 hours. Weather Alerts »
- Prepare your home and car: Keep your gas tank full to keep the fuel line from freezing and make sure your home is properly insulated.
- Use technology: Free apps can give real-time information to help you prepare. WPRI 12 Free Apps: Download Pinpoint Weather App | Download WPRI 12 Eyewitness News App
- Health Department: Those with special healthcare needs can enroll in the Rhode Island Special Needs Emergency Registry by clicking here. Those without access to a computer can call 2-1-1.
- Be Storm Ready: WPRI.com Storm Ready Resource Guide »