Hoverboard blamed for house fire; family suing manufacturer

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — Hoverboards are one of the hottest gifts this holiday season, but they might actually be too hot.

If you have children, there’s a good chance the electric-powered, self-balancing scooters are on their Christmas lists.

After their home nearly burned to the ground, one family is now suing a hoverboard manufacturer, saying the device burst into flames while charging.

The hoverboard Jessica Horne bought for her 12-year-old son is powered by lithium batteries. Just one day after getting it as a gift, he was charging the battery using the charger that came with the hoverboard. That’s when he says he saw flames shooting from both ends.

Horne said she had heard of head injuries caused by hoverboards, but never about one catching fire.

Call 12 for Action contacted the Consumer Product Safety Commission and learned since September there have been nearly 20 injuries reported from hoverboard-related accidents, including eight fractures, five sprains, four contusions and a head injury.

The hoverboard Horne bought from her son was purchased from Amazon and came from a company called Fit Turbo. Although, there are dozens of companies selling them online.

Call 12 for Action reached out to the company, but they declined to comment.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission says it is looking into the entire product line of hoverboards.

Bottom line, it’s important to wear the same safety gear you’d wear riding a skateboard if you plan to get on a hoverboard.


Comments are closed.