Pair charged in Rehoboth break-ins

Jayco Smith, left, and Alexis Torres (Rehoboth police photos)

REHOBOTH, Mass. (WPRI) — Two men are facing charges in connection with multiple house break-ins in Rehoboth.

According to police, officers were called to a home on Pine Street around 10:20 Friday morning for a report of a suspicious vehicle parked in a driveway.

The caller told police a grey SUV with Rhode Island license plates pulled into her driveway and an unknown man was walking on her property. She told officers the car drove away after a few moments and pulled into another driveway on the street.

According to police, officers checked the area and found the vehicle parked unattended in the driveway of another home. Upon further investigation, officers noticed a rear window of the home had been forced open.

Police said the perimeter of the home was secured and two males tried to escape from the property – but they were eventually apprehended by officers.

According to police, the two men were preparing to steal a flat-screen television and other electronics from the home.

Police identified the suspects as Jayco Smith, 23, and Alexis Torres, 26.

Smith and Torres are now facing charges for felony breaking and entering in the daytime, vandalism of property, stealing from a building, possession of burglarious tools and resisting arrest.

The two are also facing charges which stemmed from incidents at other homes on Thursday and Tuesday. Torres is also being charged as a fugitive from justice out of New York.

Comments are closed.