PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — Providence residents and locals said they were devastated Thursday to hear the news that Former Mayor Buddy Cianci had passed away.
Cianci died at 9:40 a.m. at The Miriam Hospital in Providence, the hospital said.
He was rushed there Wednesday night after suffering stomach pains while taping his weekly WLNE-TV show.
Brad Turchetta, Cianci’s nephew, said the former mayor will be laid to rest at St. Ann’s Cemetery in Cranston. Family members planned to meet with city officials Thursday evening to begin plans for a memorial service.
Eyewitness News Reporter Rosie Woods spoke to several locals Thursday who said they were heartbroken to hear the news. See her report in the video above.
- Family: Cianci’s nephew speaks with Eyewitness News
- Local: Federal Hill restaurant reserves Table 5 as tribute to Cianci
- Reaction: Former colleague reacts to Cianci’s death
- Related: A look back at Buddy Cianci’s radio legacy
- More: Former Providence Mayor Paolino mourns Cianci’s death
- Related: Sean Daly reflects on Buddy Cianci’s life
REMEMBERING CIANCI: Share Your Condolences