PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — Former Providence Mayor Vincent A. “Buddy” Cianci Jr. died Thursday morning. He was 74.
Cianci died at 9:40 a.m. at The Miriam Hospital in Providence, the hospital said. He was rushed there Wednesday night after suffering stomach pains while taping his weekly WLNE-TV show. His death was separately confirmed by Artin Coloian, a prominent attorney who served as Cianci’s chief of staff until 2002.
Eyewitness News spoke with Mayor Jorge Elorza and John Lombardi Thursday about Cianci’s passing. The mayor said he lowered the city’s flag to half-staff in honor of Cianci.
See Susan Campbell’s report in the video above.
- Family: Cianci’s nephew speaks with Eyewitness News
- Local: Federal Hill restaurant reserves Table 5 as tribute to Cianci
- Reaction: Former colleague reacts to Cianci’s death
- Related: A look back at Buddy Cianci’s radio legacy
- More: Former Providence Mayor Paolino mourns Cianci’s death
- Related: Sean Daly reflects on Buddy Cianci’s life
REMEMBERING CIANCI: Share Your Condolences