Are you searching for a way to better the world and possibly better yourself? Have you ever thought about being a mentor?
Mentors help to develop a child’s self-esteem and confidence.The Children’s Workshop Foundation believes students who have mentors have a desire to stay in school, and believe they can be whatever they want to be.
We spoke with Kelli DiDomenico- Director of The Children’s Workshop, who shared the following benefits of mentoring:
Benefits to Mentor:
- They are happier when they return to work
- They feel satisfied that they’ve volunteer their time and knowledge to such a great program
- They have a greater understanding of today’s youth by getting to know them
- They actually have an overall good feeling about themselves because they are making such an impact to the life of a child
- Mentors report that they also have a better feeling and relationship with their own families do to these wonderful relationships they build with their mentees
Benefits to Mentees:
- They participate more in class
- They show better attendance at school
- They improve academically
- Improved communication
- They are just happier with school – better attitude towards school
- They get more involved with school activities
Who would make a good mentor?
Qualities of a mentor – someone who enjoys being around children, someone who is committed and willing to be a positive role model to a child. They need to be dependable, honest and ready to have fun with their mentee.
Is there on-going training and support for the mentor?
Yes – there is training for mentors and mentees.
Mentors help to develop a child’s self esteem and confidence and desire to stay in school and realize that they can be whatever they want to be with hard work.