Fairhaven barn destroyed by raging fire

(Photo courtesy of Fairhaven Fire / Special - Marc Jodoin)

FAIRHAVEN, Mass. (WPRI) — Fire crews in Fairhaven were called to the scene of a barn fire Saturday night.

In a news release to Eyewitness News, Fairhaven fire officials said a call came in just before 9:30 p.m. reporting a fire near Sweeney Lane.

Multiple crews responded to the area and found heavy flames and small explosions coming from a large barn.

According to fire officials, the barn, which was used for storage, was totally destroyed. Officials said a Harley-Davidson motorcycle that was stored for the winter was among the rubble.

Fire officials said neighboring homes on Suzanne Way received some minor smoke and radiant heat damage.

Investigators said they believed the blaze started from an electrical trickling charger that was plugged into the motorcycle.

According to the release, the fire burned for more than two hours and mutual aid was brought in from both the Acushnet and New Bedford fire departments.

No injuries were reported in connection with the fire, but one firefighter was taken to St. Luke’s Hospital for chest pain. That firefighter is expected to be released, according to officials.

The fire caused about $25,000 worth of damage to the structure and the owner said the contents of the barn alone cost about $50,000.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Comments are closed.