Family, pets injured in late-night house fire

FAIRHAVEN, Mass. (WPRI)  — At least two people were hospitalized after a fire in Fairhaven Monday night.

It started just before 11 p.m. at a home on Nancy Street.

The fire chief says a husband and his wife were taken to the hospital with burns and smoke inhalation.

Authorities believe someone was trying to syphon propane from one can to another but some leaked, leading to the fire. Fire officials warn that propane cans should never be indoors.

A dog and cat were saved from inside the home, but another dog is presumed dead.

“The cat needed oxygen, it was having a difficult time breathing so we have a little mask that we use for animals,” said Fairhaven Fire Chief Timothy Francis. “The guys gave it some oxygen and brought it right back. The animal control officer came and took it in and they’re going to take it to the animal hospital to get checked out.”

The couple also had 50 pidgeons as pets, and fire officials said about half of them didn’t make it.

Comments are closed.