PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) – Saturday April 30, 2016 is YMCA Healthy Kids Day, and everyone is invited. This year the YMCA of Greater Providence will host Healthy Kids Day at Roger Williams Park returning to its annual mission of building strong and active communities for local kids.
PHOTOS: YMCA Healthy Kids Day 2015
Healthy Kids Day emphasizes that being healthy and active can be fun. The Y’s goal is to keep kids moving and learning, all summer long – a critical out-of-school time for kids’ health. When kids are out of school, they can face hurdles – or gaps – that prevent them from reaching their full potential, related to hunger, water safety, learning, safe spaces to play, and health. Each year, the YMCA of Greater Providence enrolls thousands of children in our summer camps and summer learning programs where we keep children active and healthy.
Healthy Kids Day 2016 – What You Need to Know:
- Date/Time: Saturday April 30th, 2016 from 12:00pm-3:00pm
- Location: The Boathouse at Roger Williams Park – This is a drop in event, no registration is required
- For more information visit: Visit www.gpymca.org
What can kids and families expect from Healthy Kids Day?:
- Healthy Kids Day is a great opportunity for kids to discover the dynamic qualities within themselves
- Families will enjoy physical activities like yoga, Zumba and Les Mill’s Born To Move together in a fun outdoor environment
- Participate in exciting camp games and demonstrations with YMCA Camp Directors and counselors
- Find resources to help keep your whole family healthy by visiting our health fair booth
Keeping RI kids and families healthy beyond Healthy Kids Day:
- Healthy Kids Day is part of The YMCA of Greater Providence promise to strengthen communities and is a kickoff event for a sustained initiative that helps kids stay healthy. To help strengthen our communities and the families who live in them, The YMCA of Greater Providence is waiving the joiners fee for families that join their local YMCA.
- When you join your local Y, you join a network of Ys located across the state. And that means you and your family will have access to hundreds of group exercise classes, state-of-the-art fitness equipment, and swim lessons for all ages. We offer free Kid’s Care with a family membership along with family nights, volunteer opportunities, and fun holiday events. Don’t wait–join early and save!
- Locations in Bayside, Cranston, East Side, Kent County, Newman, South County and West bay.
- As a leading nonprofit committed to youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, the YMCA of Greater Providence is committed to addressing critical gaps in kids’ health and education
- For more than 20 years, Healthy Kids Day has celebrated kids’ health and continues to teach healthy habits for kids and families, encourage active play, and inspire a lifetime love of physical activity
- The YMCA of Greater Providence supports families in their efforts to teach healthy habits and keep kids active and learning, preparing them for a brighter future.
- When kids are out of school, they can face hurdles that prevent them from reaching their full potential. Research shows that without access to out-of-school physical and learning activities, kids fall behind academically. Kids also gain weight twice as fast during summer than the school year. As spring turns to summer, Healthy Kids Day is a powerful reminder that by staying active and learning, every kid can make this summer the best summer ever.
- Healthy Kids Day, celebrated at over 1,300 Ys across the country by over 1.2 million participants, works to get more kids moving and learning, creating habits that they continue all summer long, which is a critical time for kids’ health