EAST PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — At least one person was taken to the hospital Friday following a gas leak in East Providence.
Emergency crews were dispatched at about 11 a.m. to John Street, just off Taunton Avenue.
East Providence Fire Chief Oscar Elmasian said renovation was being done to one of the homes and the gas line was fractured, causing gas to leak into the residence.
First responders were unable to shut off the gas, so firefighters evacuated the surrounding area until National Grid could arrive on scene, according to the chief.
At least one person was seen being taken away in an ambulance. No word yet on that person’s condition, or anyone else that may have been affected by the leak.