Man shot during early morning armed home invasion

FALL RIVER, Mass. (WPRI) — After about six hours, Fall River police cleared the scene of a shooting investigation just before noon Thursday.

It happened just after 5:30 a.m. at a home on Highland Avenue. Police said a homeowner was shot after a burglary attempt at the home.

Eyewitness News spoke to a relative of the people who live at the residence, and she said the incident was a home invasion. The woman said someone burst into the home, held a gun to her sister’s head and then shot her step-father.

Police said a male suspect was attempting to enter a second-floor window and was confronted by the homeowner. During the confrontation, the suspect tried to escape, but a second confrontation occurred between the homeowner and the suspect through a closed window.

According to police, the suspect was armed with a handgun and fired through the closed window and struck the victim, who was still inside the residence.

The 53-year-old man was transported to Rhode Island Hospital with a gunshot wound to the arm. Police said his injuries are non-life threatening. The woman who lived at the home was also taken to the hospital, as she was visibly shaken and traumatized from the situation.

The suspect is described as a white or light-skinned Hispanic male, 18-20 years old, wearing a light-colored sweatshirt.

According to police, no one is in custody. However, police do not want neighbors to be alarmed, as they said a preliminary investigation reveals this was not a random act.

“There is information that this was a targeted incident. So, this is not a random burglary, a random shooting. There is information it’s targeted. I can’t get into that right now,”  said Chief Daniel Racine of the Fall River Police Department.

Paul Turgeon said he has lived in the neighborhood for 17 years. He said substantial police activity is rare in the area.

“We see this, like, once every 10 years – maybe,” he told Eyewitness News.

According to the Herald News, the address was the site of a drug raid in which police seized heroin and charged a 27-year-old man.

“We have to nail that down. Obviously that would be pertinent. We have to speak to the homeowners here, speak to anybody that resides at this residence, visits this residence,” Racine said.

Comments are closed.