Passerby alerts woman of house fire in Warwick

WARWICK, R.I. (WPRI) — A woman and a cat are safe following a fire at their Warwick home on Monday.

After noticing the fire on Elmbrook Drive, a passerby called 911 and banged on the door of the home, according to Battalion Fire Chief Jim Kenney.

Kenney said the woman was in the basement, unaware of the fire, and was able to escape to safety. A cat that was also inside the home was rescued by first responders.

Crews had the fire knocked down by about 2:55 p.m. There were no injuries.

According to Kenney, two adults and an infant who also live at the home were not there at the time.

Kenney said it appears the fire started near a propane tank on an exterior porch, which is where the investigation began.

The Red Cross was called in to assist the residents.

Comments are closed.