Driver in fatal drive-by shooting pleads guilty

Friends of the victim and killer in a murder on Wendell Street meet by chance.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — The second suspect charged in a drive-by shooting that killed a young Providence man and injured his teenage sister is going to prison.

According to a news release from the attorney general’s office, 22-year-old Juan Ranero pleaded guilty Monday to his role in the May 2014 shooting of Davon and Destiny Taylor. As part of the plea deal, the judge sentenced Ranero to life in prison, plus 20 years suspended with probation. The attorney general’s office said the victim’s family agreed to the plea deal.

Davon Taylor and his 15-year-old sister Destiny were shot on May 14th, 2014, while sitting in a car on Wendell Street. Destiny Taylor survived, but needed surgery for her injuries.

Prosecutors said the trigger man, 18-year-old Joseph Taylor, fired from the sunroof of a passing car driven by Ranero. Joseph Taylor, who is not related to the victims, pleaded guilty to murder last year. He was also sentenced to life in prison, plus 20 years suspended with probation.

 

Comments are closed.