Chef Jenny Behm-Lazzarini from Red Fin Crudo joined The Rhode Show to make Shrimp and Tamales.
• 8 cups of masa
• 1 ¼ cups of melted lard, preferably back lard (Armando’s Market)
• 5 cups chicken stock
• 1 Tablespoon of baking powder
• 1 ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
• 20 head on shrimp (peeled deveined)
• 3 cloves of roasted garlic
• 1 tomato small diced
• 2 roasted poblanos – small dice
• 3 ears of corn with husk on – remove corn
• ¼ white wine
• ¼ cup chicken stock
• ½ cup mayonnaise
• 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
• 2 Tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
1. Combine lard, salt, and baking powder and, using an electric mixer, beat at medium-high speed until well whipped, about 1 minute.
2. Add the masa small amounts at a time to the lard, beating between additions until thoroughly incorporated. Add chicken stock and continue beating until dough is light. Cover masa with plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Remove masa from refrigerator and re-whip.
4. Cut end of corn to remove husks, place in warm water until ready to assemble.
5. Devein and remove shell of shrimp.
6. Saute poblano, shallot, garlic, corn. Deglaze with splash of wine and chicken. Reserve for assembling.
7. Take 3 corn husks place to create vessel to hold masa, use ice cream scoop to scoop masa on to the husks pressing it flat, create dent in center, place an ample spoonful of corn and poblano mixture. Place another scoop of masa on top, again pressing flat over mixture. Fold in the sides of the husks like a package and flat open fold side down in stemming vessel.
8. Steam for 40 minutes covered.
9. Saute shrimp, about 3 minutes each side.
10. Add tomatoes and remaining wine and chicken stock.
11. Mix together mayonnaise, lemon zest and lemon juice.
12. To assemble – open tamale, place shrimp and sauce over the top and drizzle aioli over the top.
13. Tamales can be make ahead of time, but place damp cloth over the top until ready to steam.