PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — Four men were arrested Thursday and are facing charges in the death of Kerry Mello – a Cranston man who was reported missing in August.
Police said they knew Mello was murdered eight months ago – but they only began to disclose information about the investigation after the arrests were made.
Mello, 36, is remembered as a man who loved his family and enjoyed making people laugh.
During a news conference Thursday, officials released more details about Mello’s gruesome death – which Attorney General Peter Kilmartin said was devastating for his loved ones.
“There’s a family left behind that is feeling a lot of pain,” Kilmartin said.
Rhode Island State Police released the following timeline of Mello’s murder:
- July 3, 2015 – Mello’s associate Jame Barriera had a large amount of marijuana and cash stolen. Police said Barriera suspected Mello was the culprit.
- August 10 – Mello was last seen alive and was shortly thereafter reported missing
- August 19 – Mello’s torso was found stabbed off the beach in Westport, Mass.
- August 21 – Mello’s severed legs were discovered off a beach in Little Compton
In-Depth: Kerry Mello Investigation
Between August and November, police raided several homes, business and cars looking for evidence into Mello’s disappearance.
In November, Eyewitness News was on the scene as police searched several homes in Warwick in connection with the investigation.
Barriera’s father, Albert, talked to Eyewitness News while police searched his home – where they believed Mello was killed.
“No comment, please. This is my house,” he said. “I live here.”
On November 5, authorities revealed they had located Mello’s car, which was torched, in Boston.
On January 21, State Police confirmed Mello was deceased but would not give any additional information.
A grand jury Wednesday returned a secret, sealed indictment, charging the following four suspects and charged them with murder; conspiracy to commit murder; and mutilation of a dead human body:
- Jamie Barriera, 35, of 109 Louisiana Avenue, Warwick
- Francisco Concepcion, 36, of Louisiana Avenue, Warwick
- Albert Barriera, 61, of 117 Shannon Drive, Warwick
- Graig Bustillo, 39, of Adelaide Avenue, Providence
All four men were arrested early Thursday morning and arraigned the same day. They’re due back in court for bail hearings next month.
Kerry Mello Murder Investigation
Kerry Mello Murder Investigation x
Patriots vs. Dolphins: Nov. 26, 2017
Patriots vs. Bills: Dec. 3, 2017
Patriots vs. Dolphins: Dec. 11, 2017
Patriots vs. Steelers: Dec. 17, 2017
Patriots vs. Bills: Dec. 24, 2017
Patriots vs. Jets: Dec. 31, 2017
New Fitness Gear for the New Year
Winter Running Gear
Christmas Day Apps
Christmas Day Apps