FALL RIVER, Mass. (WPRI) — Three dozen residents of a Fall River apartment building were forced from their homes by a fire Wednesday afternoon.
According to Fall River Fire Captain Neil Furtado, the fire began in a first-floor kitchen at a building on County Street. He confirmed the cause was unattended cooking (food left on the stove).
Furtado said a woman inside the kitchen called 911 at about 1 p.m.and alerted the other residents of the fire, allowing them to escape to safety.
Residents of the neighboring building were evacuated as a precaution. The vinyl side of that building melted off, according to Furtado.
Firefighters put out the fire in about 30 minutes. The captain said the intense heat from the stairwell was a challenge, adding that plastic bins were on fire.
Furtado said there are nine units in the building and three have too much smoke damage to reopen. The other six were not damaged and residents should be able to return in a day or two once the electrical systems are back up and running.
There were no injuries.
In the below video, an eyewitness describes the scene.