Chef Theroux-Kochanek of Wicked Good Bar & Grill, joined The Rhode Show Thursday to show us how to make their Soft Shell Crab Sandwich.
4 Soft Burger Rolls
2 cups of Canola Oil
3 Large eggs, beaten to blend
2 1/2 cups of panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/4 Cup Old Bay Seasoning (divided)
1 Tbsp Salt
1/2 Tbsp Black Pepper
4 cups of thinly sliced cabbage
1/2 cup of shredded carrots
1 poblano pepper diced small
2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
Spicy Remoulade Sauce
1 cup of mayonnaise
1 shallot finely chopped
1 Tbsp horseradish
1 Tbsp capers minced
1 Tbsp sriracha hot sauce
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1) Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Meanwhile mix together ingredients for seasoned flour. Whisk your eggs and mix together seasoned panko crumbs.
2) Dredge crabs in flour mixture, shaking off excess, then dip in egg, letting excess drip back in. Place crabs in shell side down in skillet and cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes each side. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Season with salt.
3) Build sandwiches, starting bottom bun first, lettuce, tomato, crab, remoulade, slaw and top bun.bowl. Coat in panko mixture.
4) Combine flour and the four other spices together in a bowl.
5) Whisk eggs in another bowl.
6) Combine panko, half of old bay, salt and pepper in another bowl.
Slaw Prep: Combine rice wine vinegar and mustard together, then add remaining ingredients and mix together.
Sauce Prep: Whisk all ingredients in a bowl.