Man pleads guilty to role in murder, dismemberment

Graig Bustillo

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — A Providence man pleaded guilty Friday to his role in the murder and dismemberment of a Cranston man last year.

According to the office of Attorney General Peter Kilmartin, Graig Bustillo pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit murder in the death of 36-year-old Kerry Mello.

Bustillo, 39, remains held without bail until his sentencing, a date for which has not yet been scheduled.

Mello’s remains washed up on shore in Little Compton and Westport after police said he was stabbed, dismembered, and thrown in the water. His disappearance in August of 2015 triggered an investigation involving both Rhode Island and Massachusetts police.

In-Depth Coverage: Kerry Mello Investigation »
In-Depth Coverage: Kerry Mello Investigation »

Three Warwick men have also been charged in the case. Jamie Barriera, 35, Francisco Concepcion, 36, and Albert Barriera, 61, are facing charges including murder, conspiracy, and mutilation of a dead human body.

Kilmartin said it appears the murder stemmed from a dispute over stolen marijuana. According to his office, Jamie Barreira was involved in growing marijuana and at some point in the summer of 2015 a “significant quantity of marijuana and currency was stolen from him.”

Police allege Barreira believed Mello had stolen about 30 pounds of marijuana and $10,000 from him. According to officials, Barreira was licensed to grow marijuana as a caregiver.

Prosecutors said Barreira lured the victim to a home on Shannon Drive where his father, Albert Barreira, lived. There, prosecutors said, is where Mello was killed and his body dismembered.

Police said Barreira’s boat was used to dispose of Mello’s remains.

Comments are closed.