Chef Basil Yu from Chair 5 is in the Rhode Show kitchen making Quahog Chowder!
- 3 lbs Quahogs
- 1 lb whelks
- 2″ kombu
- 1 cup bonito flakes
- tbsp. butter
- 1 cup onions, medium dice
- 1 tsp. garlic minced
- 3/4 cup potatoes, medium dice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 5 sprigs fresh dill
- 2 pieces chives, finely chopped
- In a large pot, bring two inches of water to a boil. Add whelks, cook for four minutes. Remove from pot, chop meat, and set aside.
- Add quahogs to boiling water and steam until they open. Remove quahogs, reserving cooking liquid.
- Pick meat out of quahog shells, chop, and set aside. Strain liquid through a fine cheesecloth. Add extra water to liquid to make 1 quart (if necessary).
- Heat kombu in the liquid. Remove kombu once liquid comes to a boil.
- Add bonito and simmer for several minutes. Strain liquid and set aside.
- Sweat onions and garlic in butter in a
deep-sided pan. Add in liquid and bring to a simmer.
- Add potatoes and cook until tender.
- Add cream and bring back to a simmer. Mix cornstarch with 2 tbsp. water and add to pot. Cook until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add in chopped quahogs, whelks, dill, and chives.
- Serve warm, with oyster crackers (if desired).