COVENTRY, R.I. (WPRI) – Eyewitness News was on scene of a two-alarm fire in Coventry Saturday evening, which destroyed a garage and spread to the attached home.
Fire officials said that multiple 911 calls came in just after 5 p.m. Saturday reporting the fire on Glacier Way.
When firefighters arrived, the garage was engulfed in flames; despite their efforts the fire rapidly spread from the garage to the home, which was unoccupied at the time.
Chief Peter Lamb of the Central Coventry Fire District told Eyewitness News that three firefighters were hurt.
“It’s a question of exhaustion and what-have-you. There’s a lot of heat exhaustion. This happens to be our second major fire today so these guys guys have been working pretty hard today,” he said, referring to a brush fire earlier in the day.
There was concern over materials which were stored in the garage; Chief Lamb said several propane tanks along with gasoline and several ATVs were inside. Several of the propane tanks burst in the fire.
Firefighters were briefly delayed in responding because of a party in the neighborhood and needed police assistance to get access and control traffic.
The fire is not considered suspicious and remains under investigation.