Executive Chef Andy Teixeira of Vineyard Cafe at Newport Vineyards joined us in The Rhode Show kitchen to show us how to make their Beet and Bean Burger.
- 1 lb Roasted Red Beets grated
- 1/2 cup brown rice not cooked
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats ground to flour
- 30 oz cooked black beans divided
- 1/2 cup dried figs finely diced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons teaspoons dijon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme chopped
- 2 large eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Cook brown rice until soft and cool.
- Heat olive oil in saute pan and cook onions until they start to brown.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add vinegar and reduce until dry.
- Add dried spices and thyme, then cool.
- Place half of the black beans in food processor and pulse until chunky.
- Combine all ingredients and season with salt and pepper.
- Form into patties and chill for 3 hours or up to 3 days.
- Pan fry in oil until brown and internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Serve on grilled Portuguese bolo with herb mayo, arugula, and sliced tomato.