Firefighters use thermal imaging to rescue man from fire

SWANSEA, Mass. (WPRI) — Fire crews rescued a Swansea man after flames broke out inside his home Friday morning.

The fire started at about 5:30 a.m. on Locust Street. Swansea Fire Chief Peter Burke said the home sustained a tremendous amount of damage because it was consumed by flames and heavy smoke.

Firefighters had to use thermal imaging to find the victim because the visibility was so low.

“The victim was found in the bedroom,” said Burke. “He was not breathing. Firefighters brought him down, performed CPR, transferred to EMS and transported to Rhode Island Hospital. He was breathing when he arrived.”

Burke said the man was the sole occupant of the home.

The cause of the fire was determined to be the “improper disposal of smoking materials,” according to Chief Burke and state Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey. They said the fire started on a couch in the second-floor living room.

Comments are closed.