PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — The state Board of Elections voted to fire embattled longtime executive director Robert Kando on Wednesday.
During a meeting that mostly took place behind closed doors, the board voted 4-2 to terminate Kando immediately. The decision comes two weeks before the state’s September 13 primary elections, where officials will roll out new voting machines.
Kando was suspended in March for 30 business days because he failed to follow the board’s order that he sign up for management classes, as stipulated when he was last suspended in January, according to John Marion, who tracks the board’s activities as executive director of watchdog group Common Cause Rhode Island.
Kando earned $143,624 in 2015, according to state records. He was the board’s executive director since 2005, when his hiring sparked controversy due to an alleged lack of qualifications.
The board’s chairman, Richard R. Dubois, says Bob Rapoza will serve in Kando’s vacant seat temporarily. Rapoza had been serving as Director of Elections. The chairman says a permanent decision would be made after the election.