Standoff between barricaded man and police ends, suspect is in custody

COVENTRY, R.I. (WPRI) — A police standoff at a Coventry home has ended after almost two full days. Conventry police say that they have taken the suspect into custody.

A man has been barricaded inside the Raccoon Run Road residence since 9 a.m. Wednesday, with police and a SWAT team surrounding the perimeter.

Police on Tuesday identified the man as 60-year-old Larry LaChance. Officials said he is armed and fired a gunshot inside the house at one point on Wednesday night.

According to Coventry police, officers were initially dispatched to the home to investigate a domestic disturbance involving a firearm Wednesday morning. The call came in from Louisiana, according to Col. John MacDonald, Coventry’s police chief.

Police got in contact with the victim via cell phone and were able to get the woman out of the home unharmed. She told police that the suspect was still armed.

After the man refused to exit, the Coventry/West Warwick Regional SWAT team was called to the scene, along with Rhode Island State Police.

“He just doesn’t want to come out of the residence,” Col. MacDonald said Thursday afternoon. MacDonald also confirmed that a loud explosion heard by reporters around noontime Thursday was part of the law enforcement operation, though he would not elaborate on any tactical efforts.

Thursday, Warwick Police arrived in the afternoon to relieve some of the officers who had worked long hours at the standoff.

“We do have officers getting fatigued,” Col. MacDonald said. “So you have to fight that when you’re in this, and fight that urge to try to end something.”

Family members have been outside the home for two days, waiting for LaChance to come out. Police say he is continuously telling police to leave him alone.

“We’re doing our best not to provoke him into a confrontation,” MacDonald said, adding that police have not gone into the house. “We want to end this thing peacefully with him, and that’s what we’ve repeated over and over to him. We’ve appealed to him to just come out.”

Neighbors were evacuated, and have not been able to go home for two days.

“I was warned that somebody was armed and dangerous and had themselves barricaded in the home, and just for our safety it was best that we evacuated,” neighbor Bill Johnston said. “A little scary, especially for my kids.”

Some of their homes don’t have power, after police instructed National Grid to turn off the power to LaChance’s home. Thursday evening, police began bringing people into the neighborhood to retrieve pets and medications.

Rhode Island court records show a warrant is out for LaChance’s arrest for failing to appear in court on a disorderly conduct charge earlier this year.

Back in 2014, police say a similar standoff happened with LaChance. Col. MacDonald said it lasted 18-20 hours, and police had a “caution” on LaChance’s house. They arrived prepared when they received the call to go back there on Wednesday.

Police say charges will be filed in this latest standoff, but have not released what they will be.