FALL RIVER, Mass. (WPRI) — A total of seven people from four families were forced from their homes Monday night after flames broke out inside a multi-family home in Fall River.
Fire crews were called to the three-story building on Robeson Street at about 9:30 p.m for a three-alarm fire. According to District Chief Kevin Plythe, first responders arrived to find flames coming from windows on the first floor.
Everyone that was inside the home made it out, but “when the chief came, he initiated a search because they said they had people trapped,” said Plythe. These original reports were wrong.
A 93-year-old woman who lives on the first floor was taken to the hospital for evaluation and a second person who fell at the scene was transported for minor injuries.
Plythe said late Monday night that the cause of which doesn’t appear suspicious, this was confirmed on Tuesday when police said that they believe the fire was sparked by an overheated motor.
“I think they all did a great job. Knocked down the fire couldn’t been a lot worse. Happens a little later at night, maybe you don’t find it as quick so it was a good job,” said Plythe, thanking the firefighters.