JOHNSTON, R.I. (WPRI) — The family of a Johnston woman who died from injuries sustained in a propane fire in August called the nearly two months leading up to her death “a nightmare.”
Patricia Manney Jones, 52, was severely burned when a motorcycle crashed into a propane grill she was sitting next to at a pig roast on Johnston’s Angelico Street in August.
“She had 67-percent full thickness burns to her entire body,” said Jenna Manney, the victim’s daughter. “It was a nightmare. For her and for us.”
Manney said her mother went through nearly two months of painful therapy and skin graft surgeries. She had just completed her final surgery and was expected to be discharged, when an infection claimed her life on Saturday.
“Unfortunately we thought we made it, and we didn’t,” said Jenna Manney, who expressed her gratitude to the first responders and hospital staff that tried to save her mother’s life.
Patricia’s cousin, Joe Manney, started a GoFundMe page to raise money for a one-level home or apartment for her to move into upon her release from the hospital. Now that money will be used for funeral expenses.
“It’s kind of surreal,” said Joe Manney of his cousin’s death.
The family tells Eyewitness News Patricia’s death was caused by “negligence.” They’re not ruling out taking legal action or pursuing charges against the driver of the motorcycle that crashed into the grill.
“I’m not going to say no,” said Jenna Manney. “I mean, I don’t know what’s going to happen but I know it could have been prevented. So whatever happens, I hope it’s what meant to happen.”
Patricia’s family described her as a fun-loving person who loved her family and friends, and had a fondness for horses.
“Happy, funny,” said her daughter, Jenna. “She was hilarious, she was corny.”
“Good-natured,” said Joe Manney of his cousin. “Friendly. A happy kind of a person.”
Patricia’s family will hold a fundraiser to help offset the cost of medical bills and funeral expenses on October 29 at 2 p.m. at Sticks Tavern in Chepachet.