Residents escape apartment fire in Pawtucket

Corey Welch | WPRI-TV
Corey Welch | WPRI-TV


PAWTUCKET, R.I. (WPRI) — The residents of a double-decker in Pawtucket safely escaped a fire Friday evening.

The flames broke out just after 8 p.m. on the second-floor porch of a home on Hanover Avenue, according to Fire Chief William Conroy.

Eyewitnesses driving by said they saw the flames and started honking, alerting the residents to get out of the house.

Tracy Soutu was one of those witnesses, she says, “There were kids upstairs looking out the window, but they didn’t know what was going on so we were beeping the horn.”

The family that escaped told Eyewitness News that three adults and five children made it out of the home, all of whom are related and live in the two units of the building.

Firefighters also managed to rescue a pair of guinea pigs.

The chief said it took about 10 minutes to get the fire under control.

No injuries were reported.

Chief Conroy says investigators will look into how the fire started and if it’s suspicious or accidental.