Costumes stolen from Providence ballet’s ‘Nutcracker’

The Nutcracker in costume (Photo Courtesy: Festival Ballet Providence)
The Nutcracker in costume (Photo Courtesy: Festival Ballet Providence)

PAWTUCKET, R.I. (WPRI) — More than 50 costumes from Festival Ballet Providence’s production of “The Nutcracker” were stolen from a Pawtucket warehouse, the ballet company announced Tuesday. However, the company vowed the show will open next month as scheduled.

According to a news release, the ballet company discovered the costumes missing last week. The stolen items include the Nutcracker’s costume and mask, one of the three tutus for the Sugar Plum Fairy, and several other tutus. Festival Ballet Providence said it had stored the costumes at the Pawtucket warehouse for the last decade, and believed the location was secure.

Festival Ballet Providence Artistic Director Mihailo Djuric said all of the costumes were hand-made and some had been embellished with Swarovski crystals. The company said it was still totaling the losses, but said replacing the Nutcracker mask alone could cost more than $2,000.

“This is a terrible loss, but we are pushing ahead and finding creative solutions,” Djuric said. “The show will go on.”

Djuric said the ballet company is working around the clock to find replacements for the scheduled opening on Dec.16. He said ballet companies from around the country have already offered to help.

While the theft has shocked the dancers and artistic staff, Djuric said it has also compelled them to make this season’s performances “even more special.”

“It’s going to be a very stressful week in the theater,” he said. “I’m confident this year’s production will be as magnificent as ever.”

Pawtucket police are investigating the theft. Anyone with information is urged to call them at (401) 727-9100.