Chef Joe Simone from Simones shows us how to make Eggnog Crème Brulee for the holidays.
- 1 qt Heavy Cream
- About 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 TBSP Bourbon—we like 1792
- ¼ tsp salt
- Heat the cream and nutmeg until just simmering. Let steep 15 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 325F Bring a pot of water to the simmer (this is for the water bath we will be using to bake the Crème Brulee).
- Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl whisk the yolks and sugar until a pale ribbon forms.
- Slowly whisk 1 cup hot cream into the yolks. Then whisk the yolk mixture back into the hot cream. Strain the mixture and add the vanilla, bourbon and a pinch of salt. Taste and correct seasoning adding more nutmeg, vanilla, or bourbon to taste.
- Divide among 8-10 brulee dishes.
- Bake in water bath 25-40 minutes. Remove from water bath, cool, cover and refrigerate for up to three days.
- To Serve: sprinkle about 1 tbsp sugar over each Brulee then use a blowtorch to melt the sugar. Be careful! This can be done a few minutes before serving.