PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — A Christmas tree fire can consume a room in seconds. Approximately 63 seconds to be more specific, according to testing done by Worcester Polytechnic Institute.
The tree used was freshly harvested, then left unwatered for three weeks.
Watering your tree daily is a simple way to prevent a similar situation, according to officials.
Also be sure to turn your Christmas tree lights off at night and replace any string of lights that has worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections, officials said. Keep the tree at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, radiators, and candles.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, Christmas trees cause an average of 210 house fires a year, resulting in six deaths, 16 additional injuries, and $16.2 million dollars in property damage.
If you haven’t picked out your tree yet, experts say to choose one with fresh, green needles that don’t fall out when you touch them.