Smithfield PD: 5 removed from a home following carbon monoxide incident

SMITHFIELD, R.I. (WPRI) — Police and fire crews responded to an incident on Pleasant View Avenue in Smithfield on Wednesday night.

Officials confirmed that the call was carbon monoxide related and five advanced life support rescues were made.

Three children were taken to Hasbro Children’s Hospital. Two were unconscious at the time of transportation, according to the Smithfield Fire Chief Robert Seltzer.

The two adults, a mother, and father, were transported to Fatima Hospital, said Seltzer. The mother was unconscious at the time.

Seltzer described at the scene that it appeared the three kids and the mother were in the house while the father was working in the garage for an unknown amount of time. When the man returned into the house, he knew something was wrong, called for help, and removed everyone from the house.

Officials were trying to ventilate the house after the incident late Wednesday.

Smithfield fire officials did not confirm if there were any functional carbon monoxide detectors inside the home.

Local and state fire marshals were also on scene to investigate.

Kelly Sullivan posted on Facebook Live as Fire Chief Robert Seltzer discussed the scene.