Karen Griffin from Just Like Nana’s shares her original Rugelah recipe.
- 2.5 cups of flour
- 2 sticks -8oz of butter or margarine
- ½ pint sour cream
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ cup sugar
- Jam (Apricot, Raspberry etc.)
- Chopped Walnuts
- Cinnamon and sugar mix
- Mix sour cream, sugar and egg yolk together. Put aside.
- Cut butter into flour with pastry blender, hands or flat blender on your mixer. Add sour cream mix to flour. Form into dough. Add a small amount of flour if dough is too sticky. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Divide dough in two. Roll into a rectangle about 10 X 11 inches long. Cut the rectangle in half horizontally so you have two pieces 10 wide and 5.5 inches long.
- Sprinkle generously with cinnamon and sugar, add jam and nuts. Roll into a log.
- Cut log into 2 inch pieces.
- Coat with egg wash and sprinkle with more cinnamon and sugar.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Bake on cookie sheet at 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove immediately from the cookie sheet to prevent sticking. Jam may leak onto the parchment paper, which is normal.
- Use egg wash.