NEWPORT, R.I. (WPRI) – The 61st Annual Newport St. Patrick’s Day Parade will be held on Saturday, March 11.
The parade kicks off at 11 a.m. at City Hall and will go down Broadway, America’s Cup Avenue, Thames Street, and finish at Saint Augustin’s Church on Carroll Avenue.
Street parking will be blocked off Saturday from 5 a.m. until 3 p.m. in the following areas:
- Broadway from Cranston/Equality Park West to Washington Square
- Equality Park Place and Equality Park West
- Dr. Marcus F. Wheatland Boulevard (West side)
- Bull Street at Spring Street
- Spring Street at Bull Street
- Washington Square from Broadway to Thames Street
- Thames Street from America’s Cup Avenue to Morton Avenue
- Carroll Avenue from Morton Avenue to Harrison Avenue
- Both sides of America’s Cup Avenue at the Gateway Center
- Narragansett Avenue between Spring Street and Bellevue Avenue
Several traffic detours will also be in effect:
- Southbound Broadway diverted onto Marcus Wheatland Boulevard southbound at Equality Park
- Spring Street northbound diverted away from Broadway and up Bull St. to Kay Street
- Westbound Memorial Boulevard West diverted northbound on Thames St at the Post Office
- Northbound Thames Street diverted away from America’s Cup up Mill Street to Spring Street
Newport Police say they’ll be strictly enforcing city ordinances on open containers of alcohol in public, noise violations, disorderly conduct, and underage drinking along the parade route and surrounding areas.
In 2016, 80 people were arrested on the day of the parade.
As for the weather, it’s expected to be sunny, but cold, with temperatures dropping even more at night. Check out the Detailed 7-day Weather Discussion for weather updates.