Jan Faust Dane, of Stock Culinary Goods, joined us in The Rhode Show kitchen to show us how to make Cast Iron Salmon with Irish Whiskey Glaze.
- 8 oz filet of Faroe Island salmon, skin on
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 2 tbs ghee
- 1/3 cup Red Breast or other Irish whiskey
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp each salt, black pepper
- hot red pepper flakes
- Herbs for Ghee (pinches of fresh or dried thyme, dill and parsley)
- Season the salmon with salt and pepper on both sides before cooking.
- Heat cast iron pan on medium high heat until lightly smoking.
- Add a tablespoon of ghee and rotate around pan until bottom is covered.
- Add salmon flesh side down, adjust heat to medium and allow salmon to sizzle in hot ghee for four minutes.
- Flip with fish turner so salmon is skin side down, add another teaspoon of ghee and using a spoon, baste repeatedly, distributing ghee over top of salmon.
- In a small bowl, whisk honey and whisky together.
- Add salt, pepper or chili flakes to taste.
- Add honey whisky mixture to top of salmon and continue basting.
- When filet looks cooked through, and golden on top (another four to five minutes; nine minutes total) remove from heat and plate with steamed dandelion greens or other greens.
- Sprinkle with lemon as desired.