Fight at Rhode Island Hospital ER prompts lockdown after nightclub shooting

Fighting visitors were at emergency department after gunshot victims arrived for treatment

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — A fight at Rhode Island Hospital early Sunday morning prompted officials to lock down the emergency department shortly after a shooting that sent multiple victims to the ER.

The shooting was reported just before 2 a.m. outside Club Luv, a nightclub on Valley Street, and left at least three men wounded: a 25-year-old, a 27-year-old, and a 38-year-old. Providence Police Major David Lapatin said Monday they’re now investigating whether a fourth victim was wounded in the shooting. All of the victims were transported to Rhode Island Hospital.

A large group of visitors ended up going to the hospital’s Andrew F. Anderson Emergency Center shortly after, according to Lifespan public relations officer Christina Spaight O’Reilly. A physical altercation between the group and one individual broke out. The emergency department was then locked down at about 3:40 a.m.

Hospital security officers and Providence police were summoned, and more than twenty individuals were removed from the property, O’Reilly said.

The lockdown was lifted around 4:10 a.m.

Lapatin said it’s unclear if weapons were involved in the hospital fight. He said some witnesses reported seeing weapons, but police didn’t find any.

Police said the shooting at Club Luv was the result of an argument that began in the club’s VIP section around 1:40 a.m. About 15 minutes later, police received a 911 call for the shooting. Investigators found a man with two gunshot wounds to the back lying in the parking lot of the gas station next door. They also found multiple shell casings, one live round and two cars with bullet holes. Police believe multiple weapons were used.

Lapatin said Tuesday that no suspects have been arrested in connection with the shooting or the hospital fight.

In an emergency hearing Sunday, the Providence Board of Licenses voted to keep Club Luv closed for 72 hours until a full hearing can be held on Wednesday.