Portion of Route 6 back open following Swansea fire

Photo: Shiina LoSciuto/WPRI-TV

SWANSEA, Mass. (WPRI) — Emergency crews responded Wednesday afternoon to a fire at a home on Route 6 (GAR Highway) in Swansea.

Police on scene said a propane company was working at the home when they noticed a strange smell. Before they could find the source, a flame burst out and the house caught fire.

No people inside the home were hurt, according to police, but a family dog perished in the fire.

A section of the roadway was blocked off as crews continue to work. That roadway is now back open.