A candle likely to blame for Bristol home fire

BRISTOL, R.I. (WPRI) – For the second day in a row, crews started the day on the scene of a fire in frigid temperatures.

The latest was at a home on Hope Street around 6 a.m.

Fire officials tell Eyewitness News they believe the fire was started by a candle near combustible materials.

We have learned three people were taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation but all are expected to recover.

“The fire seemed to be in one of the bedrooms on the second floor.  We were able to confine it to that area,” Fire Chief Michael DeMello said. “When it’s this cold, the Providence Canteen is great. They come down, they service the fire personnel and police personnel on scene with some warm drinks and things like that.”